It’s that time of year once again where we get to reunite with family and friends. For you introverts like me, it means time to finally put a voice to the thoughts that have been in your head. There are any amount of subjects, both popular and otherwise, that will rule the discussions during your holiday gatherings. I am here to be your advising agent to make sure you’re not that person at the gathering this year when it’s your time to drop your two cents on the conversation and especially if the topic is men getting dragged for being scum bags. Here is a quick reference guide as to why old sexual assaults are current events.
- Celebrity Worship: Celebrity status is American as apple pie; some people eat it while others will pass. Either way you slice it, it has become a part of many of our lives to keep up with celebs. Don’t tell me how you don’t care about keeping up with the Kardashians if you know LeBron’s wife and children by first name along with his high school stats. We “worship” something.
- 24/7 News: CNN and the like have been around for a long time, but they only have about 3 hours (guessing) of original commentary before they begin to repeat themselves. After a while they have to find something else to discuss; so let’s see what Joe Celebrity is doing or what he thinks about this event. Oh wait, who was raped by whom? Let’s talk about that because it’s fresh even though it happened in 1997.
- Cable/Satellite Television: Television has gone digital thus making it faster to get the previously mentioned news. That also puts pressure on the outlets to break news. Does that make news reporters cut corners? Yes. Does that mean not to question stories? No, but this is about the factors that have made it easier to out these sexual deviants than it was at the time of some of their acts.
- Social Media: The great thing about social media is that everyone can share their opinions. The bad thing about social media is that everyone can share their opinions. The powerful news media and other forces can’t easily dismiss the voiceless anymore. Besides, it can’t be used only for you to tell everybody how you feel like you’re the ONLY person who doesn’t get into the Star Wars hype.
- Blogs: Crafting articles and content via the world wide web has a certain flair that makes it more convenient than traditional media. Rather digesting an entire news show to get repetitive news due to a slow cycle, we can now pick and choose what information we receive as well as distribute. I am sure there is a blog out here that discuss each and every sexual assault allegation to the letter. Nothing says “I’m going to share my story” like finding out your assailant used a similar MO with others.
- YouTube: Google and YouTube are paying people for viral content. I can hit pay dirt for discussing the hot topic of the hour or for breaking the news that your fav is actually a boob-grabbing serial masturbator.
- The Internets: Twenty years ago (about 25 Cosby rapes), the Internet was something only a select few could experience. This advancement has made encyclopedias and card catalogs rather useless with the amount of information one can attain in a matter of seconds. That’s a mighty powerful tool in the battle against the super predators. There’s already a lot of shame and judgement attached to reporting these criminals; now look at sheer amount of evidence that has been presented against them. There always seem to be some type of electronic fingerprint that leads to the suspicion of truth.
- Smart phones, tablets, computers, etc.: Who doesn’t know what these items are? We have come a long way from hustling brick phones “I Got The Hook Up” style. Don’t get me wrong, I know everyone doesn’t own one of these, but they’ve become somewhat of a commodity. Add in the fact that mobile devices facilitate most of the above mentioned reasons for these revelations, it is no wonder that we are learning how scummy a lot of guys really are.
- The Obamas: In this climate, it is proper to blame everything with which you disagree on cunning Barack, Michelle the MILF (probably the wrong adjective), and their two over scrutinized daughters. Check.
- Silence: The deafening silence of those associated with each of these assailants is overwhelming. Look at the social circles of the Harvey Weinstein’s of the world use certain code words to admit they knew something was off with their guy but never thought it was an issue while he continues to gain victims as if they were trophies.
You don’t even have to explain each of these when answering the “Why they wait to now” question. Well except for the Obamas; you will most definitely need to explain that. If you catch yourself about to defend these dirt bags, then I hope you use your right to remain silent because that shit will come back to be used against you.